Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, featuring
Salt Table Savannah Spanish Moss Blend, River Street Cobblestone Blend, All Round Good Grinder Blend, or Southern Italian Blend
Smothered pork chops with peppers and onions are an old Lowcountry favorite, and Salt Table’s Savannah Spanish Moss Blend is the perfect blend for so many of the Lowcountry’s traditional dishes from seafood to chicken to pork, especially those containing pork, onions, and sweet peppers. Other appropriate blends for this would be River Street Cobblestone Blend, All Round Good Grinder Blend, and Southern Italian Blend.
- 4 thick center-cut pork chops
- Salt Table Savannah Spanish Moss Blend, River Street Cobblestone Blend, All Round Good Grinder Blend, or Southern Italian Blend
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or canola oil
- Instant blending flour (such as Wondra)
- 2 medium yellow onions, trimmed, split lengthwise, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- About 1½-to-2-cups chicken or beef broth or a blend of both
- 1 tablespoon chopped flatleaf parsley
How to make it:
- Trim the excess fat from the chops and season them well with Spanish Moss Blend, River Street Cobblestone Blend, All Round Good Grinder Blend, or Southern Italian Blend. Heat the fat in a deep, lidded 2-quart braising or sauté pan or lidded 9-inch skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, roll the chops in flour, shake off the excess, and put in the pan. Brown them well both sides well, about 3 minutes per side, and remove to them to a plate or platter.
- Add onions and peppers and sauté until softened, but not colored, about 4 minutes. Push the vegetables to one side, return the chop to pan, and scoop vegetables on top of chop. Add enough broth to half cover chops, let it come to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until fork tender, replenishing liquid as needed with broth or water, about 1 hour.
- Remove the chops to a warm platter. If pan juices are too thin, raise the heat and boil until lightly reduced and thickened. Pour over chops and enjoy at once.