Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, featuring
The Salt Table’s Shamrock Dust (or All ‘Round Good Grinder Blend, or Southern Italian Blend)
We don’t often give leeks a starring role on their own, but in the spring when they’re fresh and new they make a great vegetable side dish. The Salt Table’s Shamrock Dust is the perfect seasoning to bring out their freshest and best spring flavor.
- 2 pounds slender young leeks
- Salt Table Fine Himalayan Pink Salt
- Salt Table Shamrock Dust*, or All ‘Round Good Grinder Blend, or Southern Italian Blend
- 1 cup heavy cream (minimum 36% milkfat)
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Trim the roots and withered leaves from the leeks. Trim the green tops to a uniform length that will fit into the gratin dish. Holding them root-end-up, wash well under cold running water, bending back the leaves to get all the grit between the layers. If you’ve not been able to find slender leeks, cut them in half lengthwise. Drop them into a basin of cold water.
- Put enough water to half cover the leeks in a wide, shallow skillet that will hold them in one layer. Bring it to a boil over medium heat. Drain the onions and add them to the pan. Loosely cover, let it come back to a boil, then uncover, add a healthy pinch of Pink Salt, and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer until just tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Butter a large oval gratin dish. Remove the leeks with a slotted spatula or tongs, drain well, and transfer them to the prepared dish. Season them with Shamrock Dust.
- Raise the heat under the skillet to medium-high and boil the liquid down to 2 tablespoons. Add the cream and let it come to a boil. Let it boil until it’s lightly reduced and slightly thickened. Pour the cream evenly over the leeks. You may make it through this step as much as 4 hours ahead. Let cool completely and loosely cover. Refrigerating is not necessary.
- About 45 minutes before serving, position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 450° F. Sprinkle the leeks with the Parmigiano-Reggiano and bake until golden and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.
* Other Salt Table Blends that are great with these and other green onions are All ‘Round Good Grinder Blend and Southern Italian Blend.