Valhalla Potato Salad
Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, featuring
Salt Table Halle & Savannh Blend
Hot German potato salad is always a crowd-pleaser, so why wouldn’t it please the Gods in the great hall of Valhalla? The Salt Table’s Halle & Savannh Blend is fashioned with Germany’s Halle salt, is the perfect mate with this classic salad’s traditional sweet-sour bacon vinaigrette.
- 6 medium waxy potatoes, about 2½-2¾-pounds
- 3 strips extra-thick-cut bacon, diced small
- 1 medium yellow onion, trimmed, split lengthwise, peeled, and diced
- 1 large rib celery, diced
- ¼ cup diced dill or sweet cucumber pickle
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- About 1 rounded teaspoon sugar
- The Salt Table Wagner Blend
How to make it:
- Scrub the potatoes and put them in a large, heavy-bottomed pot with enough water to cover them by an inch. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Adjust the heat to a steady simmer and cook until the potatoes are just tender and can be easily pierced with a sharp knife. Drain, cover, and let them stand a few minutes. Uncover and let them cool enough to handle, then peel and slice them ¼-inch thick. Cut large slices in half.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until it’s browned and its fat is rendered, about 5-6 minutes. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes, then add the celery and pickle. Deglaze the pan with ½ cup water, stirring and scraping to loosen any cooking residue, and let it boil until it is reduced by half. Stir in the vinegar and sugar. Bring it to a simmer and season well with Halle & Savannh Blend. Turn off the heat.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and gently toss to coat them with the hot vinaigrette. Taste and adjust the Wagner Blend and sugar as needed. Can be served hot, warm, or at room temperature.