Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, featuring
Salt Table’s Shamrock Dust (or Leek, Chive, and Onion)
The Salt Table’s Shamrock Dust and Leek, Chive, and Onion Seasoning blends are great for flavoring weeknight casseroles, especially fall broccoli. This gratin is a fresh take on an old favorite using fresh broccoli and real cream, and thanks to The Salt Table’s seasoning blends, it’s as fast and easy as the old standby with frozen vegetables and a can of cream soup.
- 1¼ pounds broccoli
- Salt Table Himalayan Pink Salt (fine ground)
- 2 teaspoons Salt Table Shamrock Dust or Leek, Chive, and Onion Seasoning Blend, or to taste
- Pinch of dry mustard powder
- 1 cup coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar, Gruyère, or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- About 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup crushed cheese cracker crumbs (such as Cheez-it Crackers)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Prepare a large, wide saucepan or Dutch oven with 1-inch cold water. Put in a steamer insert, making sure the water doesn’t touch its bottom. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil. Wash and trim the broccoli and peel the tough stems. Cut off the stems and cut it in 2-inch lengths, then divide the florets into smaller pieces.
- When the water is boiling, add the broccoli to the insert, cover, and steam 2 minutes, then sprinkle with Pink Salt. Cover and steam until just tender but still bright green, about 6 minutes more. Remove from the steamer and let cool.
- Lightly butter a 9-inch gratin dish or shallow casserole. Roughly chop the broccoli and put it in dish. Sprinkle it with the Seasoning Blend and mustard. Set aside ¼ cup of the cheese and add the remainder to the casserole. Gently toss to mix, taste and add more seasoning blend if needed, then level the top with a spatula and sprinkle and pour enough cream over it to almost cover the broccoli. Sprinkle the reserved 1/4-cup of cheese evenly over the top.
Note: The gratin can be made up to this point as much as 4 hours ahead. Let it completely cool before loosely covering it, and let it stand at room temperature.
- About 45 minutes before you’re ready to serve, position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat it to 375° F. If you’ve made the gratin ahead, uncover it and sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the top. Bake in the center of the oven until bubbly and lightly browned, about 35-40 minutes. Let it settle for 5-10 minutes before serving, but serve it hot.
Winner! Leek, Chive & Onion Seasoning and Dip Blend (Free Recipes)