Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, featuring
Salt Table Southern Italian Blend or Southern Herb Garden Blend
Southern Italian Blend is a perfect pairing with white beans, whether they’re served hot or cold and whether the beans are cannellini, (Italian white kidney beans), Great Northern, or even Navy beans. It’s a great side dish on its own with almost any grilled food.
My favorite easy summer lunch is to mix this with two well-drained six-ounce cans of solid light tuna packed in olive oil. I offer lemon wedges on the side for that.
Other appropriate Salt Table blends for seasoning this salad would be Southern Herb Garden and All ‘Round Good Grinder Blend.
- 3 cups cooked, drained cannellini (white kidney beans), or canned cannellini
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 heaped tablespoons nonpareil capers, drained
- 12-16 brine-cured black olives, pitted and sliced (do not use canned)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- The Salt Table Southern Italian Blend or Southern Herb Garden Blend
- Romaine lettuce leaves, optional
How to make it:
- If you’re using canned beans, drain and rinse them well. In a mixing bowl, toss together the beans, onion, capers, olives, and 1 tablespoon parsley. Season well with Southern Italian blend, to taste, sprinkle with enough oil to lightly coat the beans and gently toss until they’re evenly coated. Sprinkle lightly with vinegar, to taste, toss, and let stand 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the vinegar, oil, and seasoning blend, gently toss, and if liked serve the salad over lettuce leaves. Sprinkle the remaining parsley over the salad just before serving.