Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, featuring
Salt Table Smoked Bacon Sea Salt
These can be roasted without blanching but that speeds up the roasting and helps keep the sprouts from being tough. Plus it can be done a day or two ahead. If you really don’t have time to blanch the vegetables ahead, add 15-25 minutes to the roasting time. The Salt Table’s Smoked Bacon Sea Salt really makes these brussels sprouts sparkle.
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts
- Salt Table Halle Salt, or any sea or kosher salt
- 1 medium red onion, diced large
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- The Salt Table Smoked Bacon Sea Salt
- Whole black pepper in a mill
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Trim the cut ends of the sprouts and pull off any loose leaves. Cut them in half lengthwise.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add a handful salt, stir, and add the sprouts. Cook 2 minutes, drain, and rinse under cold running water. This can be done 1-2 days ahead.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425° F. Rub a large, rimmed baking sheet with oil. Spread sprouts and onion over the pan, drizzle them lightly with oil, and toss to coat. Spread them evenly and season well with Smoked Bacon Sea Salt (about 1-1½ teaspoons) and pepper, both to taste.
- Roast, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are tender and lightly browned, about 20-25 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve hot.