Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, featuring
Salt Table Tybee Island Coastal Grinder Blend and Leek, Chive and Onion Blend
Southerners love their seafood, and shrimp is on the top of that list because it is so versatile in so many dishes, especially salads. This salad features ‘Tybee Island Coastal Grinder Blend’ and ‘Leek, Chive and Onion Blend,’ and we think you’ll absolutely love it!
Completely peel the shrimp for this. Nothing is more irritating than having that pretty but inedible bit of tail fin on the end of a shrimp that you’re trying to eat with a knife and fork.
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 pounds medium shrimp
- Salt Table Tybee Island Coastal Blend
- 1 medium clove garlic, lightly crushed and peeled
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine or sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons or more, to taste, Salt Table Leek, Chive, and Onion Seasoning Blend
- 1/2 cup washed, strung, and diced celery
- 1/2 cup washed, trimmed, and sliced scallions, optional
- 2 tablespoons nonpareil capers, drained
- 1 head romaine lettuce, pulled apart, washed, and spun dry
- 2 medium to large ripe tomatoes
- 2 ripe avocadoes
- 6-8 small fresh basil leaves
- 12-16 Butter Toasted Croutons, optional (see note below)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Bring 3 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add the shrimp and simmer until 3-4 shrimp float, about 1 minute. Drain, rinse under cold running water, then grind Tybee Island Blend liberally over them and toss well. Let cool completely, then peel and devein. The shrimp will pick up the seasoning as you peel them.
- 2. Make the vinaigrette: chop the garlic and sprinkle it with salt. Rub it to a paste with the flat side of the knife. Scrape it into a mixing bowl and whisk in the lemon juice, vinegar, and mustard. Whisk in the oil a few drops at a time until emulsified and whisk in 2 tablespoons of Leek, Chive, and Onion Seasoning. Set it aside 10-15 minutes, taste, and adjust seasonings and lemon juice. Put the shrimp in a bowl and pour all the vinaigrette over them. Add the celery, scallions, and capers, toss well, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until needed.
- To serve, line a platter with lettuce leaves. Tear the remaining lettuce into bite-sized pieces in large salad bowl. Core and if desired peel the tomatoes, then halve, seed, and dice them and add them to the shrimp. Halve, pit, peel and dice the avocadoes and add them to the shrimp. Gently toss. Lift the shrimp, avocado and tomato from the vinaigrette with a slotted spoon and add them to the lettuce. Toss well, taste, and add the reserved vinaigrette as needed. Spread the salad on the lettuce-lined platter, tear the basil into small pieces over it. Scatter croutons over salad if using and serve immediately, with the remaining marinade passed separately.
Butter-Toasted Croutons: Cut 2 1-inch thick slices firm, crusty bread into 1-inch cubes. Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add bread and toss to coat. Pan-toast, tossing regularly, until evenly browned and crisp, about 6-8 minutes.