Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, featuring
Salt Table’s Savannah Spanish Moss or All ‘Round Good Grinder Blend
A Holiday breakfast or brunch standard, a strata is really nothing more than a savory bread pudding. It also makes a lovely supper dish for any chilly evening throughout the year. The Salt Table’s Savannah Spanish Moss Blend makes seasoning it a snap. Another perfect match for it is the ever-popular All ‘Round Good Grinder Blend, which is delightful with ham and eggs. You can add a little chopped fresh oregano to freshen the flavors, but it really doesn’t need it.
Serves 6 to 8
- 9 slices firm, home-style white bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ medium red bell pepper, stems, core and membranes removed, diced
- ½ medium green bell pepper, stems, core and membranes removed, diced
- 8 ounces brown (crimini or baby bella) mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup sliced green onions, both white and green parts
- 1½ cups diced cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- The Salt Table Savannah Spanish Moss Blend or All Round Good Grinder Blend
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Cut the bread into large dice (some cut enough for the top layer into decorative shapes with a cookie cutter). Butter a 9×13-inch casserole and put in half the bread.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and sauté 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and raise the heat to medium high. Sauté until they’re opaque, about 3 minutes, then add the green onions and ham and toss until hot, about a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Scatter the ham, pepper, mushrooms, and green onions mixture over the bread in the casserole dish. Season well with Spanish Moss Blend. Sprinkle half of both cheeses evenly over it and top with the remaining bread.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk and 2 teaspoons (or to taste) Spanish Moss Blend. Pour this over the entire casserole, cover with plastic wrap, and let it sit until the bread has fully absorbed the custard, about 30 minutes, or refrigerate it overnight. Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Uncover the strata and bake until it’s almost set, about 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake until golden and firm at the center, about 15-20 minutes longer. Let it rest 10 minutes before cutting.
This recipe is also good with All Round Good Grinder Blend