Southern Herb Garden Baked Beans
Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, featuring
Salt Table Hostess City Southern Hospitality Blend
This old summer cookout favorite gets a fresh lift by using a blend of four kinds of beans that are subtly enhanced by The Salt Table’s Hostess City Southern Hospitality Blend. They go together quickly and can bake while you’re getting the grill ready.
Other blends that would work well here include The Salt Table’s Southern Spring Blend, Southern Italian Blend, and, of course, All ‘Round Good Grinder Blend.
- 1 28-ounce can baked beans with sauce
- 1 15-16-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- 1 15-16-ounce can red beans or red kidney beans, drained
- 1 15-16-ounce can black beans, drained
- 3 extra-thick-cut slices applewood smoked bacon (or 6 slices regular bacon), diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, trimmed, split lengthwise, peeled, and diced
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- Large pinch dry mustard, optional
- Salt Table Hostess City Southern Hospitality Blend
How to make it:
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat it to 350° F. Put the baked beans with their sauce, pintos, red, and black beans into a 9-inch square or 2½ quart casserole and gently toss to mix.
- But the bacon in a 9-inch skillet over medium heat and sauté until it is browned and its fat is rendered. Spoon off all but a tablespoon of the fat, add the onion, and sauté until the onion is softened and golden. Turn off the heat and transfer the bacon and onions to the casserole.
- Add the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard, if using and season liberally with Salt Table’s Hostess City Southern Hospitality Blend. Gently but thoroughly mix, level the top with the back of the spoon, taste and adjust the seasoning blend, and bake until bubbly to the center and lightly crusted over on top, about 1 hour.
#1 Salt Table All Round Good Grinder Blend is the best all purpose seasoning blend