Sautéed Fall Vegetable Medley with Salt Table Smoked Bacon Salt or Savannah Sizzle Blend
Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, featuring
Salt Table Smoked Bacon Salt or Savannah Sizzle Blend
Who says a meal has to be a slab of protein with vegetables on the side? This medley of vegetables is satisfying all by itself as a main dish, especially when its flavor is revved up with Salt Table’s Smoked Bacon Salt or spicy Savannah Sizzle Blend. It would also be delightful with Black Truffle Salt.
Best of all, it involves only one pan, so clean up is equally as fast and easy.
Serves 2 as main dish with bread or rice, 3-4 as a side dish.
- 1 stalk (head) broccoli
- 1 medium yellow squash or zucchini
- 1 medium carrot
- 4-5 scallions or 1 small yellow onion or large shallot
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Salt Table Smoked Bacon Salt or Savannah Sizzle
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, optional
How to make it:
- Wash the broccoli, trim it, and peel the woody skin on the stem. Remove the florets and break them into bite-sized pieces. Cut the stem into bite-sized chunks. Keep the stem and florets separated. Scrub the squash under cold running water, trim, split lengthwise, and cut it into bite-sized chunks. Peel the carrot and cut it into chunks the same size as the broccoli stem and zucchini. Wash, trim, and cut the scallions into 1-inch lengths, keeping white and green part separated. If you’re using yellow onion or shallots instead, trim, split lengthwise, peel, and dice.
- Film a wok or large, heavy-bottomed frying pan with oil and add the garlic. Warm it over medium high heat until the garlic is sizzling and fragrant but not colored. Add the broccoli stem, squash, carrot, and white part of scallion or diced onion or shallot and sauté 2 minutes or until the stem is bright green and hot through, tossing constantly.
- Add the broccoli florets and sauté 1 minute, tossing constantly. Season liberally with Salt Table Smoked Bacon Salt or Savannah Sizzle, add about ¼ cup water, and cover the pan. Cook 2 minutes or until the carrots and broccoli stem are done to your taste. They should still be slightly crisp but easy to bite.
- Uncover and add green parts of scallions. Toss until both are wilted and liquid is evaporated, about 1 minute longer. Turn off the heat, stir in the parsley, if using, and serve.